10 September 2007

Sun Bunny, not…..

For the third time in a week people have commented on how pale my legs are. There have been some comments made about the glare they give off, etc. There are so many sun worshippers that tan themselves to deep iodine hues. Many of these people tell me that they “feel better” when they are tan or that it makes them “look healthier”. More power to them.

This usually does not bother me nor hurt my feelings; however, it has given my food for thought. There was a time that fair skin was protected and prized it meant that you were genteel and did not have to work out of doors (think Scarlett O’Hara). Even with all the pre-cancerous and cancerous forms of melanoma, you would think that people would not be so hell-bent to sunbathe. And do not even get me started on people who go to tanning beds. I have no desire to literally bake myself, thank you very much.

My rational is that I am going to be old a lot longer than I am going to be young and I want to be comfortable in my own skin without it appearing to be an old, worn shoe. I wear sunscreen daily on my face. I slather on 30 or 45 SPF liberally when I am going to be outdoors for any period of time. I haven’t had a tan since the early 90’s or was it the late 80’s? I can not remember because it’s been ages.

3 comments:

Pen Ultimate said...

Aw, you look like a million bux. You're doin' the right thang.
.

Anonymous said...

I guess I have a thin skin b/c it does hurt my feelings when people make comments about my paleness. And they do. All.The.Time.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I approve of with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is still a definitely as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with efflux of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=zone alarm pro ?
I noticed the phrase you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the dreary methods of inspiriting of the resource. I have a week and do necheg